News Science

A Man From Texas Undergoes Surgery Due To Vibrio Which Was Found In South Texas Water

A Man From Texas Undergoes Surgery Due To Vibrio Which Was Found In South Texas Water

An Aransas County man has had three surgeries and is still in the hospital after he got Vibrio, a flesh-eating bacteria while fishing on Ransom Island near Aransas Pass, according to a news story from KRIS 6 NEWS.

Soon after the fishing trip, 79-year-old Daniel Jones was admitted into the hospital because of a cut on his hand that was also swollen, Jones’ daughter spoke to KRIS 6 NEWS. He had been fishing with his son-in-law. Doctors diagnosed Jones with the Vibrio infection, which led to three surgeries on his hand, the article stated.

This is the second flesh-eating incident that has been announced after visits to South Texas beaches.

A Corpus Christi man experienced several life-saving surgeries after he got vibriosis from dipping his toes into the water near Waters Edge Park in Corpus Christi.

Adam Perez, 42, didn’t have any open wounds at the time, which the Vibrio bacteria typically use as an entry into the body. His right toe, however, was affected with fungus, creating an opening between his skin and toenail, according to a mySA article.

According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, about 80,000 people a year are infected with vibriosis. The bacteria live in coastal waters and increase concentration when the water warms between May and October.

People can also get infected by consuming undercooked or raw seafood.